What is Wheatgrass Powder?
Wheatgrass is regarded as a natural multivitamin due to its rich nutrient properties and high count of benefits. It is one of nature’s most potent sources of nutrients and is said to contain almost every vitamin and mineral the human body needs. It contains all eight amino acids that are essential to building protein, 92 of the 108 minerals our body needs, and also vitamins A, B, C, E, and K. It is a super food that is high in fibre, iron, protein, magnesium, and much more.
Its anti-inflammatory properties help our bodies to maintain muscle mass, alleviate joint and muscle pain, and boost our immunity system so that we can prevent disease. It can also regulate blood sugar levels helping with diabetes, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and aid with weight loss. Its powerful detoxifying properties assist healthy digestion and abdominal function as well as showing potential anti-cancer properties.
Including wheatgrass as part of your diet is incredibly easy due to the versatility of the product and the many ways you can take it. Our Wheatgrass Powder is prefect for mixing into smoothies, milkshakes, juices, tea, dips, spread, salad dressing, yogurts and porridge. It can also be simply diluted into a quick and easy nutritious shot.
Our Wheatgrass Powder is carefully sourced organically with respect for nature and processed effectively to ensure all the nutrients are stored in each and every pack. It has both the IOFGA Organic Certificate and has passed the European Union’s classification for organically produced products, so you know you’re getting wholesome goodness. It is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Where does Wheatgrass Powder come from?
Wheatgrass, or ‘Green Gold’ as it is often called, is harvested from the young shoot of Triticum aestivum, also known as the common wheat plant. This species of wheat is the most widely used for sustaining animals and humans and can be grown all over the world. In order to get the most nutrients from wheatgrass, the crop is usually harvested just 10 days after it begins to sprout. Because it is harvested so young, it does not contain any gluten, meaning it is safe for coeliacs to take!
Our Wheatgrass Powder goes through a careful process in order to take it from field to your table with as many nutrients as possible. Harvesting it at 10 days old means that it is cut just before jointing occurs in the plant. This is done to ensure the plant is packed high with carbohydrate energy, all its amino acids, and chlorophyll (which gives it its vibrant green colour). As this is the stage where wheatgrass is at its most effective, after we cut the seedlings, we dry them using freezing air, and crush them into our fine Wheatgrass Powder, that can be easily incorporated into a no-fuss diet.
Wheatgrass is a fantastic source of health-inducing properties however, unlike cows, human bodies cannot digest grasses in their natural form. So, to avoid missing out on nature’s own multivitamin, our Wheatgrass Powder is the perfect way to get all the benefits and nutrients like those listed below.
Wheatgrass Powder Benefits:
- Our Wheatgrass Powder is a fantastic source of iron. Having iron in our diet is critical because it helps to transport oxygen from our lungs throughout the body. Iron is important in our bodies because it can help to reduce fatigue and tiredness and can give us energy. Iron also helps to maintain good skin, healthy hair and nails. The high iron content in our Wheatgrass Powder is beneficial to those who are pregnant or breastfeeding; undergoing dialysis; have a gastrointestinal disorder that prevents your body absorbing iron naturally (Crohn’s disease or coeliac disease); are vegan or vegetarian; or take part in intensive exercise.
- Our Wheatgrass Powder is packed with healthy plant proteins that help to maintain muscle mass. The high content of iron helps to repair red blood cells that can often get damaged during intensive exercising. It also contains copper and Vitamin E which help to reduce oxidative stress, relieving joint and muscle pain caused by working out.
- Wheatgrass Powder works as an anti-inflammatory that helps to repair muscle damage should injury occur due to exercise. Its anti-inflammatory properties also help to relieve symptoms of arthritis as well as respiratory ailments such as sore throat or bronchitis. These are the same properties that can treat fever, ulcerative colitis (ulcers in your digestive tract), skin problems, and support healthy liver function.
- Wheatgrass is high in antioxidants that may kill cancer cells. More studies are needs to understand its anti-cancer potential, but the results of tests and experiments that have been carried out are understood to show positive effects in decreasing the spread of cancer cells. Many people ingest wheatgrass as well as undergoing traditional medical treatment for cancer as it has shown to help induce benefits of treatment when combined. It helps to boost the immune system during treatment and helps the body to detox. It has also been proven to relieve side effects caused by chemotherapy such as impaired bone barrow function and reduce toxicity levels.
- Consuming Wheatgrass Powder as part of a healthy diet can assist in weight loss. Wheatgrass is known to contain a substance called thylakoid. Thylakoids are little sacs found in the leaves of plants that contain chlorophyll which absorbs sunlight to allow for photosynthesis. Tests have been done to show that thylakoid naturally increases the release of the hormones that decrease hunger. Ingesting thylakoids enhance the feeling of fullness and satiety. As wheatgrass is packed with nutrients such as this, it causes us to feel full for hours after you take it, which can help to combat cravings or snacking. Weight loss can also contribute to lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, which will lower your risk of developing a heart disease.
- Wheatgrass contains high level of enzymes which help to break down food in our bodies, helping with digestion so that our bodies can absorb nutrients. The copper and iron properties in it help to boost our normal energy-yielding metabolism, which means our bodies are absorbing all the other nutrients from the foods we eat throughout the day that sustain us and give us energy. Wheatgrass also works as a detox to clean our intestines, helping to alleviate bloating, abdominal discomfort, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Wheatgrass improves blood sugar levels which can relieve symptoms such as headaches, thirst, frequent urination, and fatigue. In the long term, high blood sugar can also lead to nerve damage and skin infections. Wheatgrass contains compounds that have an effect similar to insulin which can regulate sugar levels and keep them under control. For this reason, it can help with diabetes.
- Of all the plants in the world, wheatgrass is one of the highest known sources of chlorophyll which is fantastic for rebuilding red blood cells, boosting the immune system, and detoxing the body. It is said to improve eyesight, improve overall mental function and relieve anxiety. It has also been proven to restore hair colour and reverse greyness.
Read more about the benefits of introducing Wheatgrass Powder into your diet here!
How to use Wheatgrass Powder:
Our Wheatgrass Powder is an extremely versatile supplement to build into your diet that makes a big difference to your health. Wheatgrass is quite potent so we recommend 1-2 teaspoons daily of our Wheatgrass Powder is plenty, but as with all types of natural foods, it is best to start with small amounts and work up gradually to the recommended daily dosage.
Here are some of our favourite ways to take it:
- Dissolve into a cup of warm water for a quick and easy nutritious shot;
- Blend into smoothies, juices or milkshakes of your choice;
- Brew it into a tea or other beverage;
- Mix into hummus, pâté and use as a dip or spread;
- Include it in a salad dressing;
- Mash into soft fruit such as bananas.
- Add to porridge and yoghurts.
Wheatgrass Powder Nutritional Information (Per 100g)
||194Kcal / 816KJ
|– of which sugars
|– of which saturates
||7.19mg (60% RDA*)
||23.4mg (167% RDA*)
||137mg (37% RDA*)
||1.9mg (19% RDA*)
*Recommended Daily Allowance
Our Wheatgrass Powder is made from 100% Organic Wheatgrass, sourced with respect for nature.
- This product may contain traces of nuts.
- As with all types of supplements, you should always check with your GP if you are taking prescription medication, are pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.