What is Acai Powder?
The acai (pronounced “ah-sigh-ee”) is a small potent, dark purple berry that grows on tall palm trees found in the tropical climate of the rainforests in Central and South America. When the berry is ripe and ready, it is harvested and dried out. It is then grinded into a fine powder that you can bend into a smoothie or juice, sprinkle over cereal or porridge, bake into a cake or energy bar, stir into a yogurt, or even mix into a cocktail! We use only organic raw berries sourced from Brazil so that you can have all the natural goodness from the Amazon rainforest preserved in your kitchen cupboard.
The acai berry truly is one of nature’s most impressive superfruits. It’s a source of an amazing flavonoid called anthocyanin. This is a pigmented substance that not only gives the acai berry is deep purple hue, but also contributes to a variety of health-boosting activities such as anti-oxidation, anti-inflammatory, reducing cholesterol and improving heart health, improving brain cognition and memory function, aiding cell regeneration, and potentially anti-cancerous properties. The acai berry is also a fantastic source of fibre (helps with regular bowl function), Vitamin E (anti-aging and good skin care properties), and Vitamin B2 (promotes energy and growth).
Read all about the benefits of Acai Powder and our favourite ways to take it!
Where does Açai Powder come from?
The acai (pronounced “ah-sigh-ee”) is a small but potent, dark purple berry that grows on tall palm trees found in the tropical climate of the rainforests in Central and South America. They’re native to the Brazilian Amazon region where they’re celebrated as a true superfruit (as they should be!). The berries themselves look like small grapes. They are about 2cm round with a tough purple skin but a yellow juicy flesh that covers a large seed. In fact, the seed takes up about 80% of the space in the berry, and the other 20% goes to the nutrient packed flesh and skin. Unfortunately, ripened acai berries have a short shelf life and rarely survive the export journey so they’re often sold as a prepared product. Once they’re harvested, they’re either soaked to soften the skin and thoroughly mashed into a creamy purple purée or dried and finely ground into a fine powder. We believe the powder is the best way to preserve acai berries because it allows for the most concentrated form of all its nutrients and is incredible versatile to use.
Our Acai Powder is sourced carefully and with respect for nature. We ensure only 100% raw organic acai berries are used in the grinding process, certified by the Irish Organic Association and the European Union organic policy, so you know you’re getting the best version of one of nature’s most impressive and beneficial fruits.